A pocket sprung mattress is one of the most preferred choices for many people when it comes to getting the best sleep every night.
It is important that all buyers must have enough information before buying any kind of mattress so they can tell which is best suited for them and not waste their money on low-quality bedding products.
The following tips and reviews will help you know more about this type of bedding product.
Best Pocket Sprung Mattresses UK
1. Emma Original Mattress
Emma Original Pocket Mattress is one of the most trusted pocket mattresses available in the UK.
It uses the finest quality materials for its construction and also long-lasting elastic webbing straps to ensure support for years.
It has a medium firmness level which is ideal for most people who prefer sleeping on their sides or back.
The mattress can be bought at affordable price rates and is free from any harmful chemicals that could affect your health adversely.
- The mattress is a high-quality bedding product that comes with 15 years warranty.
- The pocket spring unit inside the mattress makes it very supportive and comfortable for people who sleep on their sides or back.
- It is a medium-firm mattress that is ideal for most users.
- Since the support provided by the Mattress ( Emma Original) would depend upon how well your body weight is distributed over the webbing straps, this Mattress might not provide required comfort to obese people. So they must try out any other option suited for them better.
2. Nectar Mattress
Nectar Mattress is another popular choice of mattress for people who are looking forward to buying the best pocket sprung bedding product.
It has got many advanced features like a cooling gel layer and individual pocket springs, which make it stand out from the rest of its competitors.
The mattress is designed in such a way that it can perfectly conform to your body curves and automatically adjust itself according to body weight and temperature.
So, you will feel much more comfortable while sleeping on this mattress.
- The Nectar Mattress uses high-quality materials for its construction which provides firm support required by the user without exerting any pressure on their body parts.
- Individual pocket spring units used in the mattress make it very comfortable because each unit operates independently according to your body weight and temperature.
- The advanced features like the cooling gel layer used in the mattress make it very comfortable for people who sleep for longer hours at night. It also enhances airflow inside the Mattress, which results in good ventilation.
- The individual pocket springs make the Mattress a bit expensive as compared to other brands available in the market, which offer almost similar features and comfort levels. But this is completely worth its price because of its superior quality and durability.
3. DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress
DreamCloud Mattress is one of the most comfortable pocket sprung hybrid mattresses in the UK.
It is made up of high-quality materials and provides a unique combination of softness and firmness to its users, which helps them in getting a good night’s sleep.
The mattress has been designed with extra-deep layers which can easily adapt according to your body weight and temperature. This feature makes it perfect for almost all kinds of sleepers.
- The deep layers inside the mattress make it highly supportive for people who prefer sleeping on their sides or back. Also, if you want to sit in bed while reading books or to watch TV, then this would be a perfect choice for you because it will provide the required support even while sitting.
- It is one of the most comfortable bedding products that comes with 25 years warranty.
- It has deep layers which can conform to your body easily and provide support exactly where you need it.
- The mattress comes with a cooling gel layer which keeps it more comfortable by regulating the temperature of the user’s body, so they don’t feel hot while sleeping at night.
- Since the pocket springs are quite close to each other, this might not be comfortable for overweight people. They will have to look for some other option in this category because DreamCloud Mattress is specifically designed for side or back sleepers only.
4. Simba Sleep Mattress
Simba Sleep is another good choice for a pocket spring mattress that comes with the finest quality materials at an affordable price.
It has got many advanced features like an open-cell foam layer, eco-friendly construction, and individual pocket springs that make it stand out from other similar brands available in the UK market.
The mattress has been designed especially to provide comfort to people who sleep on their sides or back.
Therefore, if you are looking forward to buying the best pocket spring bedding product, then this one will be an ideal choice for you because it provides excellent support required by different types of sleepers without exerting any pressure on their body parts.
- The open-cell foam layer used inside the mattress makes it highly comfortable because it distributes the weight evenly and minimizes the pressure points you feel while sleeping.
- The individual pocket spring system used inside Simba Sleep makes it highly supportive because each spring operates independently according to your body weight and temperature that provides a superior comfort level.
- No matter if you sleep for shorter hours or longer hours at night, this mattress will keep you comfortable all the time because of its cooling gel layer, which regulates your body temperature perfectly.
- Since it comes with a memory foam layer on top, heavy people might not get proper support from this mattress. So they should look for some other option in this category.
- Also, if you don’t prefer sleeping on memory foam, then this one is definitely not a good choice for you.
5. Silentnight Pocket Mattress
Silentnight mattress is one of the most popular pocket mattresses available in the UK market. Made up of high-quality materials, this mattress provides excellent support to sleepers by minimizing points of pressure on their body parts.
The built-in natural fillings used inside it make it very comfortable and perfect for almost all kinds of sleepers.
Also, its unique open coil system helps the user distributing the weight evenly across the mattress that allows each sleeper to feel relaxed without exerting any pressure on his body.
- The individual pocket springs are highly supportive because they move independently according to your body weight and temperature that minimizes pressure points. This means you will get a superior comfort level no matter what type of sleeper you are.
- Silentnight pocket beds are a perfect choice for you if you sleep on your sides because it provides required pressure relief and support to hips of the user. This is because its outer coils have been designed in such a way that they can easily contour to your body shape while sleeping on the side.
- The mattress has got open coil spring system which allows each sleeper to experience equal weight distribution across the surface. Therefore, whether you are heavyweight or lightweight, this one will keep you comfortable all the time.
- There is not much good thing about this mattress except some positive reviews from customers who bought it. Most of them complain about sagging issues after a short time period. It means the pocket springs used inside might not be as good as they are advertised to be.
WHAT IS A POCKET SPRUNG MATTRESS?
A traditional pocket sprung mattress is quite popular in the UK market. If you are looking for a mattress that provides excellent support without exerting excess pressure on your body, then this one is definitely an ideal choice for you.
These mattresses usually come with hundreds of soft pocket springs which distribute weight evenly across the surface.
Also, they provide the required comfort and proper back alignment to sleepers by relieving any points of pressure they feel while sleeping.
Pocket springs: the origin and design
Pocket springs (spring systems) were first designed and used in England. After much research, this machinery was invented by Mr. J B Dunlop, the inventor of pneumatic tyres.
One evening he was working late, and as he walked past his factory floor, he noticed how all the machines had stopped running.
Having gone back to inspect it closer, he found that oil had leaked onto one of the belts that run them; the timing belt broke at a specific point during its rotation cycle, which caused all machines to stop operating. Henceforth, Mr. Dunlop set out to make a stronger belt for his machinery.
After much research on materials suitable for making stronger belts (he tried rubber bands, wire, fabric, and much more), he settled on a design with small metal coils inserted in between two rubber strip layers.
The metal coil was made from one piece of wire bent in a U-shape to form the top and bottom plates and then cut to length.
GOOD FOR ALL SLEEPER TYPES
Pocket mattresses are great for all kind of sleepers because it is highly comfortable and supportive in nature.
A pocket mattress will support your back and minimize points of pressure on your body to make you feel relaxed during the night.
Therefore, there is no problem if you are a side, back, or stomach sleeper; this one will keep you comfortable all the time.
GREATER BACK SUPPORT
Pocket mattresses are manufactured with pocket springs placed inside. Each spring works independently to provide the required support and comfort to sleepers.
If you want better back support, then buying one of these mattresses is a great idea for you.
Also, these beds are an ideal choice for people who have got problems with their hips or back. It will make them feel relaxed by providing pressure relief all night long.
The memory foam layer used in this type of mattress provides a cooling effect that regulates your body temperature.
This way, you will never feel hot during summery nights because it will keep your body at the proper temperature throughout the night.
Therefore, if you are someone who feels uncomfortable, especially during summer nights, then purchasing one of these mattresses is a good idea for you.
FAR COMFIER THAN OPEN SPRING MATTRESSES
Pocket mattresses are a perfect choice for comfort seekers. They come with a number of rigid pocket springs which provide proper support and soft surface to sleepers.
Also, these beds come with luxurious layers of foam or latex that make you feel relaxed all the time by keeping your body cool during summers.
Therefore, if you want something far more comfortable than an open sprung mattress, then try this one because it will keep you happy for many years.
BOUNCIER THAN MEMORY FOAM MATTRESSES
Pocket mattresses are far bouncier than memory foam mattresses as they come with rigid springs.
Since these springs can easily adjust to your body shape, therefore, they will provide the required bounce and comfort to sleepers.
Also, this bounce-back effect is not available in memory foam beds because there, you’ll find a layer of soft material that cannot keep your bed surface as bouncy as spring ones. Therefore if you want something that provides the proper bounce, then you must go for one of these beds.
Cons of pocket sprung mattress:
- They are a bit expensive in comparison to other types of mattresses.
- Their lifespan is not much longer due to poor quality springs used inside.
What size are you looking for?
Pocket mattresses come in various sizes:
- Single: 3’0″ x 6’3″ (90 x 190 cm)
- Double: 4’0″ x 6’3″ (120 x 190 cm)
- King Size: 5’0 x 6 3 (150 x 190 cm)
- Super king : 6 ‘0 “x 6 3 ” (180 x 190 cm )
Also, check your mattress size before buying one of these beds because some retailers sell them in standard sizes, whereas others offer custom-made ones according to customer specifications.
You can get a pocket sprung mattress in any UK mattress size you want, but it will obviously cost more if it’s customized according to your needs.
Buying a pocket sprung mattress online.
Most of the retailers sell mattresses online, so you can check them on their websites before buying one.
Ensure you are looking for the correct size because some companies offer standard sizes whereas others provide custom-made ones according to customer requirements.
Also, keep your budget in mind while shopping around because these beds come at very different prices, which depend on their type and brand.
However, there are also few things that you should consider while buying a pocket sprung bed online :
- Check out return policy: Before buying anything online, always look up that retailer or website return policy. It is possible that buyers sometimes regret their purchase; therefore, try checking if the company allows buyers to return their new items within 30 days of the purchase date. If yes, then you can always return your mattress if you are not happy with it.
- Read reviews: Always look for good pocket sprung mattress reviews before buying one as many customers provide their honest opinion about products on retailer or manufacturer site. This way, you can figure out that what other people say about this bed, whether they like it or not. Also, pay attention to the rating of the product because rating gives a great idea about customer satisfaction level.
- Price comparison: One final but important thing is price comparison. You’ll find different price tags on pocket sprung beds from different retailers, so it is vital that you look up all the prices and compare them before closing a deal. Shopping around online will help you in finding the best available offers; therefore, do some homework to get better deals.
Are pocket sprung mattresses expensive?
They are more expensive than traditional spring beds, but that doesn’t mean they always cost a fortune. You can get one of these beds in your desired size and design for as low as 300 pounds.
Also, some companies sell mattresses at discounted prices. Therefore, you will be able to find an affordable deal if you keep on searching. Buying online helps you save money because there are many websites offering free shipping plus discount offers, so do your homework before closing a deal.
Price also depends on what type of pocket sprung mattress do you choose; whether it is side supports or an open spring variant, the price of each one differs from the other.
However, basically, all types of pocket beds come with great durability and comfort factor, which makes them expensive than traditional mattresses.
Mattress Types explained
There are many types of pocket mattresses available in the UK, but most commonly, people prefer two different types.
They are as follows:
- Side Supports Spring Mattress: this type has side supports or rails that give proper edge support to sleepers. Basically, it is the same as a traditional spring mattress, therefore, offers a comfortable sitting and sleeping experience.
- Open Coil Pocket Sprung Mattress: This variant comes with hundreds of open springs arranged closely together for providing superior comfort and lasting durability. Also, it can be customized according to your requirements because companies offer these beds in all sizes.
Choosing the best mattress fibres & fillings
Pocket mattresses use various fillings and fabrics for their construction. Different types of mattress filling include :
- Wool Fillings: It is one of the most popular pocket sprung bed filling because it offers excellent temperature regulation properties. Basically, this material absorbs heat while you sleep, therefore provides warmth in winter months, whereas, during hot weather, wool keeps the mattress cool and fresh.
- Silk/Cotton Mix: using cotton or silk combination makes beds softer than other types because these materials are very gentle on your body. Moreover, they hold their shape better than other materials, so they provide greater support to the joints of your spine.
- Combination of Wool and Silk: This type basically blends two materials, i.e., wool and silk, which makes the mattress plusher. So, if you are looking for a pocket sprung bed that will offer support as well as comfort, then this one is the right choice.
- Latex: Latex material has the unique ability to adjust to the body shape of the sleeper so provides maximum spinal support. It also helps in absorbing vibrations. Therefore, it makes a great choice for sleepers who tend to move a lot during sleep.
Why do Mattress Companies Hide What’s Inside?
You might find it strange but some brands don’t reveal what materials they use in their products.
A few years ago, this fact had started trending on social media networks because people were looking to know about the actual material used in making beds. Therefore, many brands have come up with an explanation that they don’t mention the exact composition of their beds because then shops can sell the same products at cheap rates.
Well, even if companies claim to have unique features in mattress construction but it doesn’t mean they are using expensive materials.
Some brands use similar materials combined together so there is no big difference between the two variants.
You should buy a pocket bed only after doing proper research and comparing prices of different brands because don’t let manufacturers fool you by hiding facts about their products.
How to Choose the Right Mattress?
Choosing the perfect bedding can be difficult. That is because you are not allowed to examine it before buying. But now, you don’t have to worry about this as there are many mattress online retailers that offer home sampling facilities.
A pocket mattress is one of the most expensive ones available in the market today. This is because they come with a number of features and benefits that justify their high price tags.
Things to keep in mind:
Type Of Coil
Coils play a vital role in determining the life and comfort of a mattress. So if you want a long-lasting pocket sprung that provides a soft surface then you must buy one which comes with tempered steel springs.
These coils are bendable therefore they can perfectly adjust to your body shape while sleeping.
Also, they provide great support and bounce-back effect to sleepers.
Therefore if you want something which lasts longer than other mattresses then make sure that it uses tempered steel springs inside its layers because these springs give no chance of sagging problems.
Number Of Coils
When it comes to buying a pocket spring mattress, make sure that you buy one which comes with at least 400 coils inside its layers. If there are more than 400 springs then it will provide improved support and bounce back effect.
This is because the number of coils present in the bed determines its weight distribution. Therefore if you want something that provides optimum comfort, then go for one with a large number of coils.
The best pocket mattresses come with a medium firmness level inside their layers. This is because these beds are not as hard as wooden slatted ones or as soft as a memory foam mattress.
Hence, they give your sleeper a good balance between comfort and support during sleep. Also, this middle firmness level makes it suitable for all age groups.
Therefore if you want to buy a pocket spring mattress with a medium firmness level then make sure that its coils contain tempered steel springs.
Two Layers Composition
The best pocket spring beds come with two layers inside their foundation. These two layers are:
- Top layer: it consists of high-density foam which acts as a comfort layer and distributes your body weight evenly while sleeping on the bed. Also, this layer provides a good bounce-back effect to sleepers. This is because the few top-quality pocket mattresses use higher quality bouncy materials like natural latex (coil encased). The thickness of this top layer must be around 2-3 inches in order to provide optimum comfort and support.
- Bottom layer: the bottom layer of a pocket bed is made up of high-density foam which acts as a base foundation. This foundation gives proper support to your mattress while sleeping on it. Also, this layer keeps your mattress in its original shape even after years of use. So if you are looking for something basic with good quality then go for one with two layers inside its construction.
The pricey pocket spring mattress is definitely orthopedic one because it comes with different levels of firmness inside its layers.
If you want something that provides relief from back pain and body aches then make sure that it comes with a medium or higher level of firmness.
This is because it will provide support to your spine as well as joints which in turn prevents back pain.
So if you want a pocket mattress that provides relief from all kinds of body aches and pains then make sure that its firmness level inside layers is medium or higher.
The best pocket mattresses are made up of natural fibres because they prevent allergic reactions.
Fibres like wool, silk, and cotton are common materials used inside these beds. If you have breathing issues due to dust and other allergies then buy a mattress that comes with a 100% natural fibre composition.
Also, look for one that has removable covers so that you can easily wash them whenever required. In addition, try to check the type of fabric used to cover your mattress because it also matters a lot.
You should try to buy a bed that comes without any kind of fire retardant chemicals inside its layers because these chemicals cause irritation and other allergy-related issues.
Type Of Bed Base
Pocket sprung mattresses come with different types of bed bases depending on the material used inside their layers. Therefore it is important that you choose one type of base which can easily fit under your existing furniture.
This way, you will be able to save money as well as time because buying a separate bed frame will cost you more than just buying pocket mattress.
However, if you want to buy something extremely luxurious then go for upholstered ones which look similar to divan beds.
While buying a pocket mattress, make sure that you go through all these aspects so that it serves your purpose right!
What is a Pocket Spring Gauge?
A gauge is a unit of measurement for testing the coil sizes used inside a mattress. In simple words, a pocket sprung gauge reveals the number of springs housed in a mattress/bed.
These springs are then covered by fabric or other materials to form a foundation. Usually, these foundations are further divided into two layers with the top layer having the upper hand in terms of sturdiness and strength.
The lower layer is composed of high-density foam to provide firmness as well as deep compression support.
When it comes to buying a pocket sprung bed, you need to know about its gauge because higher-quality beds come with finer coil counts, and hence their number must be low, i.e., between 50-80.
Also, keep in mind that an ultra-plush mattress is not everything that you need if your purpose is strong back support and relief from body aches!
How To Clean A Pocket Spring Mattress
Pocket spring mattresses are easy to maintain because they don’t get dirty quickly like innerspring beds.
All you need to do is clean its surface using any mild detergent on a regular basis. For this purpose, buy a waterproof cover that can easily fit into your mattress without creating creases.
Also, keep the following points in mind while going for a replacement of your pocket spring mattress’s cover :
- It Should be Washable at Home: Make sure that your mattress cover is machine washable otherwise it will not serve your purpose right!
- Do Not Use Bleach: It might be tempting to use bleach for cleaning purposes, but you should refrain from doing so as it may harm the fabric used inside your pocket spring bed.
- Go For Washed Fabrics: It is better to go for washed fabrics because unwashed fabrics may cause skin irritation or other allergies.
- Tumble Dry Low: Don’t tumble dry your pocket spring mattress’s cover at high temperatures as it might damage its material. Tumble it at low temperatures and remove it before stuffing it inside the drier. Also, try to air dry the top layer of your mattress for 5 hours between each drying session.
- Do Not Overstuff Your Mattress Cover: If you stuff too many things in your mattress’s cover then it won’t be able to work effectively. Just clean its surface regularly and place a thin sheet over it so that dirt doesn’t remain around its edges.
How To Keep A Pocket Spring Mattress?
When it comes to maintaining your pocket sprung mattress, you need to check its lower layer for sagging, creases, or ripples. All of these things signify that your mattress needs some support underneath it.
Also, don’t forget to turn the lower and top layers separately after every 6-7 months so that their wear and tear is even across all sides.
This way, you will be able to prolong the lifespan of your pocket spring bed without fail!
Are pocket mattresses safe to use?
Pocket spring beds are extremely safe to use because they are built with top-notch quality coils which are sturdy and powerful.
Also, the fabric used inside is tacked over them in order to maintain their structure.
Moreover, these coils offer you enough bounce that you can easily adjust according to your body weight!
What is mattress foundation?
A pocket spring bed usually comes with a strong foundation. This foundation can be either made of plywood or high-density foam pieces depending upon its price range.
Plywood foundations are sturdy but heavy whereas foam ones are lighter yet flimsy. Higher gauge pocket mattresses come with plywood foundations, while economy models come with foam boards for this purpose.
There are some manufacturers who provide an option of choosing between the two types of foundations!
Are pocket spring mattresses good for back support?
Yes, pocket spring beds are extremely good for back support because they come up with a high number of springs that hold your body weight properly.
Also, you may add a pillow top or a memory foam topper on the topmost layer to further align your neck and spine while sleeping.
This way your spine will not get out of line even if you sleep in the same position every night. In addition, these mattresses also offer adjustable firmness, which means that you can turn their firmness softer or firmer depending upon how much pressure you want to release from different points of your body.
However, it is better not to buy a plush pocket mattress as it will not offer you proper spinal alignment.
How long does the best mattress last?
Pocket spring beds are extremely sturdy and durable. Also, they come with all the features inside, which will allow you to use your bed for many years without wearing down its fabric or any coils popping up at odd places!
Can a mattress topper make my mattress softer?
Yes, it is possible to make your pocket spring bed softer by placing a thick mattress topper over its topmost layer.
However, if you are looking for something extremely soft then you should go for other types of mattresses like the latex one!
What is a bed in a box?
A bed in a box is basically a type of mattress which comes compressed inside a strong box for shipping. It takes around 24 hours to expand and shape itself by absorbing air from its surroundings.
However, it will never be as soft or firm as other types of mattresses because it doesn’t have any coils inside to support the weight of your body.
Pocket sprung mattresses are ideal for all kinds of sleepers. They will provide you with great comfort and support while relieving pressure points on your body. However, they might not last much longer than 5 years because there is a chance that springs inside them would break after two or three years.
If you can afford yourself a new mattress, then go for one, but if you do not have enough money, then we suggest that you must look somewhere else because these beds come with quite a hefty price tag. Yet, they offer numerous benefits and features which justify their high price range.